How to clean your gaming PC
As a gamer, you know how important it is to have a fast and reliable gaming PC. One of the worst feelings is when your PC overheats and you throw the game. When looking at your brand new, shiny PC, you may not realize that your gaming PC needs to be regularly cleaned and maintained to stay in top condition.
Here are a few things you can do to keep your gaming PC clean:
- Dust regularly. Dust can build up inside your computer and cause airflow and heat dissipation problems. Unplug your tower, grab some compressed air and a screwdriver and take it outside. Cleaning your PC outside will help not to circulate dust back into your home when you’re trying to get rid of it. Follow the instructions on the bottle of air. Ignoring instructions can lead to damage, so keep your compressed air upright. Use a soft, anti-static brush or cloth to dust off the inside of your computer case for anything too stubborn that would not come off with the compressed air, being careful not to touch any sensitive components. Cleaning your PC should be done every 3 to 6 months, depending on your location and lifestyle.
- Clean your keyboard and mouse. Your keyboard and mouse are probably two of the most used peripherals when gaming, so it’s essential to keep them clean. Use a moistened cloth or cotton swab to wipe down the surface of your keyboard and mouse. Be sure to unplug them from your computer before cleaning. If you have any small cracks or crevices, take a toothpick and lightly scrape the dirt before following up with rubbing alcohol. Failing to keep your keyboard and mouse clean can spread lingering germs, resulting in possibly getting sick more frequently.
- Clean your monitor. Your monitor is another vital component of your gaming setup. Use caution when cleaning your computer screen as it can scratch or damage easily. Use one side of a clean microfiber cloth to lightly brush over your screen to get off any large pieces of dust. With the clean side of the cloth or with a new microfiber cloth, dampen it with distilled water (making sure to ring out any excess water) and wipe in a left to right or up and down motion. Dry with another clean cloth in the same direction you used to clean your screen. If that does not get everything off, you can make a 50/50 mix with your distilled water and vinegar. Again, be sure to unplug the monitor before cleaning.
- Dust off your gaming peripherals. Your gaming peripherals, like your headset and controller, can also collect dust over time. Use a soft, anti-static brush or cloth to dust them off periodically. Create a mixture of warm water and a small amount of mild dish soap to clean any excess grime. If you have removable ear pads, search your brand and follow their specific instructions.
- Keep your computer off the ground. Raising your PC even six inches off the ground can help to eliminate up to 80% of dust intake. Place your tower either on your desk or on a riser under or near your desk.
By following these simple tips, you can keep your PC running smoothly and continue carrying!
Leave a Reply